Since I cannot tell a story quickly pull up a chair while you take part in my adventure.
Last summer I got this fantastic idea that maybe one day I would ride my bike to they gym and then workout. I figured this would add some intensity to my workout, some change of routine and heck cut out some of my cardio. I purchased a very nice bike lock and it landed in it's semi-permanent home in the garage.
So this year mummy in law gave me her very nice mountain bike which I have leisurely ridden this summer and I thoroughly enjoyed. So of course as summer ends I decide it is time, no more excuses. I am riding my bike to the Good Life. (Which by the way is 4.7kms one way, information that would've been helpful yesterday)
Kevin and Logan both think I am crazy.
Kevin "It's dark out and it's far. You don't have the proper bike light and reflectors. You are not serious."
Logan "Mom are you crazy that is farther than Grandma and Grandpa's. Your not gonna make it"
Well those comments sound like dares and I was not about to let them win. It's on now (apparently surrounded by boys I've started thinking like them removing all reason from my thought process).
So our adventure begins about 2 minutes into this journey and my yoga pants got stuck in the spokes. I am determined and tuck them into my ankle socks (you all know they're not going to stay there).
I cross the first 3 fairly major intersections with little incident, but then last one of 4 and the busiest one no less and slight complication. It took 3 light changes before I realized I had to push the cross walk button. THEN my pants get caught half away across the intersection in my spoke again, "oh please don't let any of those cars contain someone I know". What a disaster. I hobble the rest of the way (4 lanes) with my pants stuck and I am sure my face is now purple with embarrassment.
Exhausted and sweaty 25 minutes later I lock up my bike and pull off a very poor excuse for a workout. BUT I am not defeated.
I have a 25 minute, 4.7km ride home. I am smarter this time. I will keep my gym shorts on so I cannot get pants stuck in the spoke and I will not cross that crazy intersection and stay on the other side of the road. No problem right? Wrong...
What I didn't realize until I made it down the other side of the road in the dark is there is no bike pathway. I cannot cross the 4 lanes and median so bushwhacking I go.
Cold and walking my bike through the nasty bushes I am not sure I would do this again and just want to go home, but I am probably still 3kms from this adventure being over. I can only imagine what the people were saying as they drove by, but no way was I letting the boys in my house be right on this one.
So I arrive home safe, cold, tired, legs scraped up and torn yoga pants. BUT I made it and I didn't fall off my bike or need a ride home. Ask me next summer if I'll ride to the gym again, but one time was enough for the rest of this year.
Back to good ol' driving to and from the gym.
No comments:
Post a Comment