Thursday, March 31, 2011

Change is a comin'

today has been hard and tomorrow will be harder
there are many changes in our lives that occur and all of them for reasons that always lead to great things in the end
and this one is no different even it is seems sad at first
I do not handle change that I do not personally control very well, (okay I may have control issues)
and most change is something you cannot control or predict
so I have chosen denial instead (that is not working well for me)
A very good friend has officially resigned from her job,
See her message here 
which is the same place I work and how we met and we see eachother almost every day
we have been through a lot
I know this is a personal decision of hers, one that I know most of us would be envious of
(AND weird, but one that doesn't revolve around me - Yes I feel the need to narrate my own post)
not because we all should or want to quit our jobs, but because she is courageous enough to make changes, to fully embrace those changes and learn from them when the time comes
this is not JUST a job to her and it has not been JUST a job to me
tomorrow (turned out to be today, the denail thing prevented me from posting this last night) will be a very hard day as we say good bye to morning starbucks, really fast walks to crave, lunch time wandering, walking to the parkade, International breakfast, and just solving the worlds problems when work becomes too much that day

Dee-Ann has left her stamp on me
almost a decade of tireless mentoring as I got all growed up (or partly growed up)
she hired me for my first big girl job 
and was my boss for many years 
(it is not always easy growing a friendship with your boss, especially one as tough as Dee-Ann)
She took a chance on me (a little ABBA memory for you Dee), young and unexperienced with a baby at home and no place to call my own
she encouraged me when I didn't think I could do it work and otherwise
she taught me what it truly means to expect nothing but the best from yourself and from each other
she always knew I had something in me that maybe I didn't know was there 
she taught me the meaning of Mediocrity and why it is unacceptable regardless of what you have chosen in life
she is tough and tough loves



To sum it up she taught me in the almost 9 years I've know her  "Don't ever settle"
and even if this leaving work thing doesn't work out, it will not change the fact that she did not settle and she is doing her best to embrace all that she is 
and even if its just a few people in this big earth she has left her mark on she has and will continue to change the world by my standards

You have changed me :) and you know where to find me if you ever need some merglish to brighten your day

1 comment:

Starr Mercer said...

Great post Miranda! Dee truly is an inspiration, isn't she. I too have a blog post about her: http://starrmercer.blogspot.com/2011/04/canvas-for-dee-ann.html
Take care
Starr