Most of us seem to have this soundtrack
the music that brings the memories of our lives flooding back
and no matter what you do as that songs plays out you cannot turn that memory off, nor do you normally want too
(or at least this is what I've begun to notice)
and you often share this soundtrack with others
My soundtrack in no particular order:
You’re a Superstar (for the 90's) and artist I cannot recall
-My cheerleading Coach & mentor at that time in my life and she always used to say she this song was about us (the team). Well coincidentally it played for our introduction for Provincials in 2000 and my last year and we placed 3rd. That day we felt like we placed 1st and nothing could take that away.
Knee Deep by Zac Brown
-NO matter how frequently we play this song and with various memories mixed up in it of good times it will always take me back to sitting in the creek and watching the kids and mom float down the creek in the “yacht” all week while camping with my family, throwing sticks and balls for the dogs and just having a great time at “2 creeks”
Anything ABBA
-I dislike ABBA and while I’ve gown an appreciation only due to the memory caught up in their music I’d rather not listen to them. I started my new job and in way over my head at Jones Brown and my boss, DeeAnn, closed her office door and played this while she got through some work and I needed things continuously so would go in and have to listen to this music like torture. Later it came out my dislike and it became a fond memory.
Friends in Low Places by Mr. Garth Brooks
-This hands down will always make me think of Keith and Shelly. I don’t think there is a time we’ve been together and this song comes on and it doesn’t result in everyone around being pulled into a circle with the music turned up and singing along at the top of your lungs. (Leaving the lost verse for Kevin of course). Every wedding, every vacation, and every trip this comes out. For me it’s a reminder the unconditional love and respect Kevin and Keith feel for each other and how incredibly beautiful it is that they have each other and I get to witness and be part of that.
Good Vibrations by Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
-My dad having a great ol’ time dancing around the living room where as a teen I was “embarrassed”, but secretly loved it when dad blared that stereo to a song he traditionally would never have enjoyed and then helped mom with dinner and danced around. Those moments where he truly lives in the moment.
Which brings me to:
Celine Dion – The “I’m your women” song
-Dad always played this after Good Vibrations and said this song made him think of my mom and he’d dance with her and pester her whenever it came on. The pure and true love of my parents is what I think of when I hear this song.
Break Even by The Script
-We’ve gone 3 years in a row to Crimson Lake for August long weekend camping trips with the Tatro’s. (I know a break up song, weird). It’s something I looked forward to every year, each year different, but a great joy for us, easy weekend with no expectations and resulting in late nights of gaming and long beach days.
Thunderstruck by ACDC
-This was a favorite song of Logan's before he could talk. He'd bob his head to the beat and listen to this song intently eavery time it was played. That little boy in the car seat head banging just because he can with no care in the entire world.
Dirt Road Anthem by Jason Aldean
-This has been the “summer” song for about 3 years now and gets played almost every camping trip with my family. We only play it by the fire late at night and it results in everyone getting out of their chair doing their own version as loudly as possible. Play it too early and everyone will yell “It’s too early” and you will be forced to change the song. Then when it’s time (and who decides the time that everyone just knows is the right time is still a mystery) it usually ends up on repeat.
Follow the Leader by Soca Boys
-Honeymoon! I know it’s weird, but a beautiful gift from Keith and Shelly and everywhere we went in South Beach Florida and on the Cruise this song was played and I found it so catchy. This was some time Kevin and I got alone to just be with each other and then got joined with some great friends for a great time. It was so perfect.
Pumped up Kicks
-Whistler and The Andrews. We took an adventure to drive to Whistler a few years ago and meet up with friends. After Whistler we headed back to the Island and ate and drank wine every night on the patio after long beautiful days. Keith played this song practically on repeat everywhere we went and during dinner every evening.
…To be Continued
If we are fortunate our soundtracks will be long and full of a variety of genres, artists and memories to accompany them.
1 comment:
Awesome Post! I had to put on a little "Friends in Low Places" after reading this to take me back to some good times! Thanks for putting things in perspective! We sure have had some great times!
You need to add...Motorboating!! It reminds me of boating and jellyfish! Keith will hate it!
Miss you guys! Hope your having a blast out camping.
Post a Comment