Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Ursula the Spider

I fore warn you that I do not have a great photo to represent tonight's post as I am unable to properly represent the creature I am about to introduce you to in a photograph.


Every year we have a bug season at our house, one year it is dragon flies, another it's aphids, then spiders. 


This year spiders again, but fewer and still gross and this is where Ursula comes in.  Kevin of course decided it was about time to solve this problem a few weeks ago.  He sprayed all the spiders with water pressure, egg sacks and webs off the house as I could easily tell when coming home one night from work.  I note a lonely web in the corner or the porch.


He did NOT spray down Ursula.  This is a spider that took up residence in the corner of our front porch.  She has been there since a wee little thing and has not left.  We have watched her grow to the size of a loonie and make her web each day to catch bugs.  Kevin decided she should be spared and he was right.  


We can always count on her being there, sleeping in the morning when we leave and spinning her web when we get home after work and then out on the prowl around dinner time.  She has survived the miserable weather and we now watch for her every day.


A day will come very soon I am sure when she is no longer there and she will either lay her eggs and then going to a better place, proving we are correct about her being a girl or disappear when the winter sets in, but for now we have learned to appreciate her in all her large rear end, fuzzy grey glory.


Why Ursula you ask.  Because she has a large rear end and eight long dangly legs like Ursula from Little Mermaid.

No comments: