Thursday, January 30, 2014

ECV January 26, 2014

The ECV was an appointment that I least looked forward to
This would decide how our baby would arrive into the world
Since we found out the week prior that our lil' miss was Breach things have not gone as we had hoped and planned

Because I am having a baby on my due date and naturally.  Because what other way is there.

First I found out she was breach and that it wasn't really recommended to deliver her this way.  C Section was likely the best option, but we have an alternate plan - let's turn this baby.
This was hard news for me to take to start with and I didn't leave that appointment with the same hope and anticipation as I had the others.

Then upon a confirmation Ultra Sound we learn that our fluid levels are on the low side.  A second ultra sound is required to confirm how low is low exactly because this can be dangerous.  Depending on those results lil' miss may have to come earlier that planned and still by C Section.

The second ultra sound confirmed that our fluid was low and even more that thought.  This was more bad news because really ow fluid means the placenta isn't as healthy as it should and can impact baby's health, meaning baby will have to probably come early, but fluid would be under close monitoring.

The plan - we go ahead and try and turn lil' miss and if she turns we plan to likely have her early and be induced and if not then plan B is the C Section.  The low fluid doesn't help the turning process either.

So Kevin and I prepared ourselves for the possibility that the ECV could cause early labour or distress and result in C Section and I prepare mentally for the reality that this will hurt and I will just deal with it because I desperately want her to turn.  We leave the fluid monitoring up to our incredible team of doctors.

Waiting

This is only half the doctors in our very small room and every single one was so very kind and patient.

So we go into the hospital first thing in the morning to start the monitoring
monitoring baby's health and mine to make sure we are healthy to start
then ultra sounds to check her positioning and fluid level
(lots of monitoring and waiting)

Then the turn
a fantastic doctor is doing this and it must be a rare occurrence as we have about 10 different doctors, interns, and residents to participate and witness this procedure - one resident that came in just to see this

The doctor was incredibly honest, which I weirdly appreciated
"This is going to hurt.  Some people say it's just a lot of pressure, but it will hurt."
Got it and hurt it did.  Not as much as labour and with an end goal so I managed.
Thank goodness for the relaxation and mild pain meds that made me very whoozy something like being drunk or I may have been for more aware of what was happening and tolerated it differently.  Kevin says you could see the minute they hit my system (about 30 seconds).
Then the turning process begins - took about 15 minutes.

Well lil' miss had different plans
she was just a little too big with too little fluid to get her head past my rib cage.  The fact that she had dropped so low didn't help either.  The verdict she's not going to move.  Onto booking the C Section...again news and a final decision I didn't handle very well.  
Take this, add meds and exhaustive pain from the entire process and I was emotional mess.

So we wait and wait for the scheduled appointment for that week...

No comments: