Our final weekend of our summer vacation turned into something very interesting
it really started Wednesday night
I awoke to the blinds rattling quite loudly and was concerned a storm was brewing
as I opened my eyes and tried to shake the grogginess I saw something black on the blinds
it took me a bit to realize there was no way this was a frog, which was my first thought, at the size of plum
I grabbed Kevin, "wake up, what is that"
Kevin startled awake by my fear and after a minute answered
"it's just a moth" (yeah from the amazon maybe)
then our black thing flew around the room
"A BAT"
Kevin jumped out of bed and hit the lights as I pulled the blankets over my head
Kevin in his quick thinking pulled the screen out of the window and dropped it over Casey
then swiftly closed the door as we waited for this stray bat to fly out of the window
Gross, but we got him out and soon went back to sleep
Thursday night (the night of the big Hail storm in Airdrie) we awaited the Tatro's arrival for our weekend of fun in the sun (little did we know)....
Thursday night we enjoyed some wine and some fire and planned for our fun weekend
Late into the night I woke to rustling
and thought to myself
Self, ugh another bat, I'm too tired we'll get him later, since it was certainly only a single bat stuck somewhere outside
but I felt the onset of some heartburn that I knew had to be dealt with
so I hauled myself out of bed, opened the door, listened to the rustling that sounded dangerously close, but no visual
climbed the stairs and flicked on the lights
imagine a scene from the movies, such as an Indiana Jones type
as bats fly up the stairs from the basement directly at me (ok, not directly at me, but when they fly up the stairs over you it feels like it's directly at you and intended to scare you)
I shrieked like I've never shrieked before and jumped behind the wall (the jump was not an easy feat in my present condition, but griping fear took over, but I do recall the searing pain at this unwanted movement)
then my mind starts going
"shoot I screamed a girly scream so loud that all the kids are certainly awake and now they will be scared too"
"I hope I screamed loud enough that Kevin will rescue me"
"I hope I didn't wake up everyone"
"umm....how many bats just flew up at me"
"where are those gross bats now"
"OK get a grip (rustling and scrambling coming from upstairs), it's just a bat, peak around the corner already and see where it went"
peaking and another shriek
"that not A bat, that's alot of Bats!!!"
Matthew yelling from upstairs: um, is everything ok?
Me: BATS, there are BATS EVERYWHERE
Kevin from the basement: "AGAIN" (The word again would imply that we had bats everywhere in the past I think he missed the plural s on the end of my response BATS)
more scrambling and bats flapping everywhere
Matthew: I'm coming
more scrambling
Kevin comes up and Matthew comes down in what felt like forever for them to collect themselves
Kevin: Logan close the door! (later in our story you will learn why keeping doors closed was such an important detail on our crazy bat weekend)
Casey is now crying and Tatro kids are yelling what's going on
Ellie: Just close the door and go to bed (they do by the way)
As the bats began to settle there were 5 behind the snow shoes on the wall and others elsewhere and some still flying (we counted about 8 in total, but it felt like a million)
Kevin and Logan in their boxers frantically open the doors, windows and pull out all the screens
Matthew, who took the time to get fully clothed, pulls the snow shoes off the wall
Matthew: "They won't fly into anything I'll contain them"
as he uses the snow shoes over his head as an air control officer to guide the bats to the windows or door - this alone was quite funny
(an fyi - bats get easily confused and disoriented in the lights and loud noise so the shrieking and yelling that took place in the now very bright cabin was not helping our situation - a fact we learned later and explains why the either didn't fly out or chose to fly back in after flying out)
Kevin runs and grabs a fish net and Logan runs and get gloves
I have moved to the kitchen against the wall to watch where they land and yell out words of encouragement
Ellie grabs her camera and is giggling at this scene, which is not helping our fits of laughter mixed with fear and annoyance at this point
Me with my arms out and helpless "It's on me, it's on me"
Kevin in his sarcastic tone: it's not on you (like I was overreacting, as if its possible to overreact in this situation)
Me: No it's on me I am looking right at it (you don't make this stuff up)
Matthew: it is on you, don't move
as he pokes and prods the bat off of the front of my shirt
the bat finally lets go and flies up towards Matthew
so he does what anyone holding a large snow shoe would do
and swats that bat mid-flight like a birdie in "bat"minton across the room knocking it unconscious - oops
at this point we are laughing so hard we cannot focus on the bats and need to take a minute to re-focus
If you've not had the opportunity to watch "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy I highly recommend it. The scene with the grizzly bear in the cabin is painfully similar to this. But it's one grizzly vs. our 8+ bats. Almost would take my chances with a grizzly.
after awhile we finally get control of the situation and get all the bats to fly out of the house and try to get settled and get some sleep
surely we must be rid of bats by now
Casey always eats about 5:00am so why would this morning be any different
I get up and feed her and get her settled back to sleep
just as I turn the light out and start to doze I feel the unwelcome breeze from a bat wing as it flies past
another Shriek
Kevin leaps out of bed, I grab a blanket to throw over Casey
Kevin runs upstairs and grabs the fishnet
with one fast swoop he catches it mid flight
Now we are up and getting out of bed and quite annoyed
It's not funny anymore and we are on a mission to make sure every flying squeaking bat is out of our place so we scour every nook and cranny and Kevin set on a mission to seal every gap and opening in the exterior he can find.
and throughout the day and the next we get stray bats randomly showing up and flying overhead
We set out on our Bat Hunt. Now that we know they must be coming in around the fire place we rounded up the neighbours and sat and to watch for our bats who start flying about 9:30-10:00. We wanted to be sure they weren't flying in and out and that Kevin had adequately blocked their entrance.
The boys getting the bats out of the cold air vent in the side of chimney, which had a metal mesh over it. They kept trying to escape this way all weekend, first 5 and then 2 and then a few more and then one at a time every few hours until we couldn't hear anymore.
a pesky bat we caught
the handy sign made by our neighbour to block our fireplace
the cabin is now officially known as The Bat Cave
Bat catching juice
Bat catching snacks
Bat catching equipment
Encouraging baby snuggles
Kevin has tirelessly tried to catch a Pike and little Norah is the first to do it with her little Barbie rod
The bat hunt continues
and some restful time at the beach where no bats can bug us
Bat girls
We are fairly confident we are now rid of our bats and they cannot get back into "the bat cave", but failing that we will now be selling admission for "the Bat experience" through our newly formed company "Bed, Bat and Beyond"
Kevin aka Batman will be your friendly Bat guide
and the Bat jokes went on all weekend long...
No comments:
Post a Comment