Friday, December 31, 2010

reflection

as we all should do, I have been reflecting on this past year over the past few days and what my next year might look like


What I have done? 
What have I learned?
What have I taught?


It has been a year of many firsts and new discoveries.  I have learned a lot this year about myself and my family.


Traveling to Costa Rica was our families first big trip and we have opened Pandora's box - Kevin and I would like to see the world, well some of it anyway.  Next on the list - CUBA!  We so thoroughly enjoyed being in Costa Rica and the things we got experience there.  I learned my tolerance levels for the heat are quite high, my ability to deal with very large bugs and new foods is better than expected and that I a paralyzed by fear of small planes.


Disneyland - This was a family celebration of a very big impact on our lives.  Some very important papers came through this year that will forever change our world.  We enjoyed our time in California and had a lot of fun together.  We did learn that we are beach people not amusement park people.  


My son doesn't take after me at all.  He enjoys the thought of seeing new places and doing new things.  He has no fear.  


Skiing - who ever would've thought Miranda would learn to ski and LOVE it?  I always figured what was the point, it's cold and snowy and probably scary.  Logan took this up and I couldn't be left in the snow.  


Parenting is hard!  This is not a new revelation, but different.  Being a parent to a young child is far easier than an older one (for me anyways).  At 2 you teach them manners and stop them from falling down stair cases, you feed them and put sunscreen on them, help them to bed and make them eat their food.  At 8 you still do what you did when they were 2 (sort of), talk to their teachers every day (for me anyways), you teach them how to be a friend and to deal with the beginning stages of bullying, being courteous, sharing, fighting fair, school stuff, responsibility, accountability, integrity, you defend them daily and many times you feel like are you losing.  


I have learned I can do all of this no matter what and that I am stronger now than I was this time last year.  I have learned I have a thicker skin and that I will continue to be my son's advocate.  I will continue to teach him and work with him and fight for him.  I will hold his hand, everyday if he needs it, and that holding his hand everyday will not always help him learn.


Kevin has the ability to become more incredible daily.  (Don't tell him, he already thinks he's perfect ;)  I wondered why this man would be with me way back when and sometimes still do.  I am not easy to live with, I am not good at picking up after myself (which drives him crazy) and from what I am told have very strong opinions and expectations of others.  Yet he comes home everyday.  He encourages me to be better, to try new things, to be adventurous, he gives me the ability to deal with things that I can't.  We have been brought together for many reasons and each day we learn a new one.  


I love being an Auntie.  I think that being an auntie is soooo much fun.   I love giving them special treats and getting them wound up.  It's terrible that you can spoil those that aren't yours, it's like you are not causing damage to them and not responsible for the effects maybe.  I have also learned that mom & dad trump what Auntie says and sometimes you can accidentally over step your spoiling boundaries.


Rain or shine camping is still my favorite thing to do.  With the summer we've had this is a new discovery, since I've not had to camp a whole summer in just the rain before.  The time we to get spend together with each other, with our family and friends, doing only what you want to do and not what you have to do, the smell of the fire, watching the dog chase squirrels, the sleeping whenever I want, the list could go on.


Eating well helps me feel well.  Who-da thought I'd overcome my Starbucks addiction?  


What to do next year??????


Mostly I hope to do more of what I love with those I love to do it with and less of what I have to do.  

No comments: