Sorry it's been awhile. Seems like I am forever behind.
We've not been doing much since my last post, other than hitting the gym so much so that I don't have a muscle left that isn't hurting tonight so a break for me.
Then there is Rambo #5
"KEVBO,
Rambo's next of kin"
Kevin hit (heehee, get it) up the shooting range with friend Matthew for some good ol' Sunday afternoon fun.
Today was our COLD blast
a lovely freezing cold day not feeling so hot absolutely delicious not too terribly bad for you dinner
and I enjoyed it so much I didn't get a good photos of the pretty bowl with the fancy toppings
This is African Peanut Soup
(ready for tomorrow's lunch)
I don't get any credit for this dish. This is stolen from my friend Dee-Ann who made it for us for lunch one day at work and it was so delicious that I've made it over and over and now so has my family. So pretty much everyone who reads this blog already knows how great this is.
The recipe is copied here and I highly recommend it.
Shelly - you have to try this and then I am sure you'll find a way to add Quinoa in it.
the ingredients:
olive oil (1 tbsp) minced garlic (1 tsp) can of no salt added diced tomatoes, undrained (28 oz) can of tomato paste (6 oz) creamy peanut butter-we used 100% natural, no added salt or preservatives (1/2 cup) reduced sodium chicken broth (4 cups) balsamic vinegar (1 tbsp) cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp) Instant Brown rice (1 cup) chopped green onions (approx 6) chopped peanuts (1/4 cup)
the how:
HEAT olive oil in a medium skillet, add garlic
STIR and COOK for a minute or so
ADD the tomatoes, tomato paste, peanut butter, broth, balsamic vinegar & cayenne pepper
STIR (or whisk) together
BRING to a boil
ADD the rice
REDUCE heat to low
COVER
COOK for 20 minutes
POUR into individuals bowls
GARNISH with green onions and peanuts
Now what you must know is I've changed it up a bit more and with practice am pleased with these adjustments. 1st I cut the peanut butter almost in half (due to my dietary restrictions at this present moment). I cook finely chopped chicken breast in the garlic with the olive oil and then add chopped red pepper and a little onion and then throw this into the already simmered pot of the other ingredients when cooked. I also love chunky tomatoes so my can of tomatoes I use whole and sort of cut them myself into halves.
This takes me about 10 minutes to whip up. Add some grilled cheese and I have a happy warm and full family. If you are watching your diet skip the grilled cheese and the peanuts thrown on top and then for added bonus after dinner do 50 sit ups and 30 lunges with some pushups and squats. And finish it off with a hot bath and a good book. That is the perfect night when its -4000 out.
One more note: it is so cold the dog won't even go out and when we made him he did his little my feet are cold dance on the porch. What sort of a Husky is that?

2 comments:
The soup sounds great! I will have to give it a try when Keith isn't around!
I just tried a new soup recipe as well. a Spicy Thai Coconut Chicken soup, easy to make and does not call for a lot of wierd ingredients. don does not eat spicy food so I adjusted it and it worked great. Takes about 35 minutes, start to finish.
Post a Comment