Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Very Special Birthday to my Oma

Today is my Oma's Birthday and as I was thinking about her on her Birthday I realized many of my fondest childhood memories have her in them....

-waking up early Sunday morning at her house to the smell of bacon and aftershave, Oma would be whipping up a very large and delicous breakfast and Opa would be just finishing his shave and getting dressed for Church

-Oma sneaking me my favorite toast topping, cinamon spread at her house.  It was the only time I got to have it.

-Double Zouts and Peppermints treats in a steady flow from her purse and whatever other Dutch treats she had in her drawers, pockets, drawers.

-Special Christmas gifts, including comfy jammies, ceramic Christmas tree ornaments, piggy banks, new bedding, all of which I still have, excluding the jammies.

-Special gifts from her and Opa's trips around the world, and there were many, some of which I also still have and treasure.

-Oma staying at our house in Grande Prairie for what seemed like forever and sleeping in my bed with me.  Best Sleepover Ever!  She promised she did not snore, well we found it quite funny when I shared that she in fact did snore that first night and it had scared me.

-Spending a whole week with Oma all by myself.  It was the best week ever!  We played every game we could find, mostly Aggrevation and we had a blast aggrevating each other each and every day.  We sang songs, went garage saling and had lunches with family.  Together we had great fun and laughs putingt up with all of Opa's many favorite programs.  We even Yoddled in the car along with Opa's tape to tease him of his strange choice of music.

-Oma was the best cook I knew as a child and dinner always, always was served with desert afterwards,m she never missed desert and what kid doesn't love desert, especially some good ol' water gruel.

Oma, a very Happy Birthday to you.  I love you very much and am fond of the memories we have together!

No comments: